The investigation into the controversial Presidential Foreign Investment Promotion Council intensified on Wednesday as the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission commenced the interrogation of the alleged founder of the disputed agency, Adeniyi Adeyemi, inside police detention. The controversy erupted after allegations that Adeyemi presented himself as the Director-General of a presidential body that several government institutions said they neither created nor recognised, while questions were raised over alleged forged documents, bank accounts, and the inclusion of the council in budget proposals.
The questioning of Adeyemi came after an earlier attempt by the anti-graft agency to interview him was stalled when his new lawyer failed to appear at the Nigeria Police Force National Cybercrime Centre, where the suspect was being held. Operatives of the commission, who arrived at the facility around 10am, had prepared for the session but suspended the exercise to allow Adeyemi to secure legal representation in line with his rights under criminal procedure.
A senior police source familiar with the investigation, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said, â€Å“The ICPC earlier today (Wednesday) was at the Cybercrime Centre in an attempt to interview Adeyemi around 10am, but the interview could not hold after the set-up had been done because his lawyer was absent. That was why the interview was later fixed for 3pm.†Another police source confirmed that the interrogation eventually commenced after his lawyer arrived, noting, â€Å“His lawyer eventually came and he was later interrogated in the presence of his lawyer. They couldn’t conclude the questioning today and there’s the possibility of them continuing some other day, probably tomorrow (today),â€
The development came as the House of Representatives Ad-hoc Committee investigating the controversial establishment and operations of the council, chaired by Yusuf Gagdi, set out to question several top government officials on Thursday over their alleged roles in the activities of the council and its inclusion in the 2026 Appropriation Act. Among those expected to appear before the panel are the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume; the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu; the Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu; the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN); the Minister of Finance, Taiwo Oyedele; and the Accountant-General of the Federation, Shamseldeen Ogunjimi.
Others expected before the committee include the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu; Director-General of the Budget Office of the Federation, Tanimu Yakubu; Executive Secretary of the Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission, Aisha Rimi; and representatives of the Revenue Mobilisation, Allocation and Fiscal Commission as well as the National Salaries, Incomes and Wages Commission. The latest hearing follows revelations by the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Dunoma Ahmed, who distanced the ministry from the activities of the council. Ahmed told lawmakers that Adeyemi approached the ministry on three occasions, on June 26, 2025, August 5, 2025, and June 5, 2026, introducing himself as the Director-General of both the Presidential Economic Advisory Council and the Presidential Foreign Investment Promotion Council to seek collaboration for a World Investment Summit.
According to the Permanent Secretary, the ministry rejected the requests after conducting due diligence, citing concerns over the authenticity of the council and its leadership. Ahmed disclosed that the ministry wrote to the Office of the National Security Adviser on October 16, 2025, and received a reply on November 26, 2025, informing them that inquiries made with the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation and the Office of the Chief of Staff to the President showed that Adeyemi was unknown to any Federal Government office. The committee also directed the Inspector-General of Police to produce two suspects reportedly arrested in connection with documents allegedly obtained from the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, which purportedly approved the council's participation in the federal budget process and granted a waiver for the deployment of about 300 personnel.
On Monday, the Chief of Staff to the President, Femi Gbajabiamila, appeared at the headquarters of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission in Abuja. Adeyemi, who was arrested last week, claimed that Gbajabiamila gave him an appointment letter for the role and that he gave money to the Chief of Staff to secure the job. However, the former Speaker denied the allegations and filed a suit against Adeyemi, while the Presidency stated that the council does not exist. His legal counsel, Jiti Ogunye of Jiti Ogunye Chambers, confirmed the appearance, stating, â€Å“In full cooperation with the ICPC acting as directed by the President of Nigeria, I hereby confirm that my client, Femi Gbajabiamila, Chief of Staff to the President of Nigeria, responded to the invitation of the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission and appeared at about 15:00hrs on Monday, July 20, 2026, as part of the ongoing investigation into the activities of the ‘PFIPC’ fake agency, among others. My client gave his testimony, responded to questions accordingly, and has returned to his duty post.â€
The appearance of Gbajabiamila came weeks after President Bola Tinubu directed the commission to conduct a comprehensive investigation into the activities of the fictitious council within 30 days. In a statement issued on July 7 by the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, Tinubu ordered the anti-corruption agency to investigate the fake council. The Presidency specified that the probe covers the alleged use of forged appointment letters and official documents by Adeyemi, who allegedly presented himself as Director-General while falsely claiming to be a presidential appointee to seek official recognition, diplomatic support, and open multiple bank accounts in the names of purported government agencies.
Meanwhile, former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar intensified the political dimension of the controversy, accusing the Tinubu administration of failing to provide clarity over conflicting explanations surrounding the operations of the alleged agency. In a statement issued by his Special Assistant on Public Communication, Phrank Shaibu, Atiku stated, â€Å“This is where the cover-up appears to begin. One institution denied authorising the opening of the PFIPC accounts and alleged forgery. Another, before the representatives of the Nigerian people, stated that the accounts were opened on the directive of the Accountant-General after due process was followed. Both accounts cannot be true.†Atiku argued that the conflicting positions of the Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation and the Central Bank of Nigeria created a profound credibility crisis for the administration.
Atiku added, â€Å“When two of your most sensitive financial and monetary authorities publicly contradict each other on the same transaction, no serious leader needs a clairvoyant to know that his administration is trapped in a web of deception and a profound crisis of credibility. The President cannot continue to watch from the sidelines while his government tears itself apart with conflicting narratives.†The former Vice President asked, â€Å“President Tinubu must answer a simple question: which version does he believe, the Accountant-General’s or the Central Bank’s? If he believes neither, why has he not acted?†He further remarked, â€Å“The PFIPC scandal has ceased to be merely about disputed accounts. It has become a referendum on President Tinubu’s integrity and competence,†adding, â€Å“President Tinubu owes Nigerians an unreserved apology for presiding over this unprecedented collapse of public accountability. If he cannot immediately restore public confidence through a genuinely independent investigation and ensure that everyone responsible is held to account, then he has forfeited the moral authority to continue in office. The honourable course is simple: apologise to Nigerians and resign,â€.
0 Comments